Press Release – September 2020

The Horseless Carriage Club of America is pleased to announce a display currently in the Clyne Williams Gallery of the AACA Museum in Hershey until April of 2021

For more information call – Bob Ladd – HCCA 717 269-5508

The Horseless Carriage Club of America (HCCA) exists to preserve, maintain, and document the earliest automobiles, from the inception of the horseless carriage to 1915. Central to the mission of the membership of HCCA is to maintain these vehicles in driving condition, and recapture and share the motoring experience of the dawn of the automotive age.

The exhibit is called “YES, WE DRIVE THESE CARS!” and consists of early signage and many artifacts as well as a video showing our cars on tour as well as the comments by the drivers on how these cars operate and how much fun they are to drive.

Three cars are on display that are illustrative of the theme. There is a 1904 one cylinder “curved dash” Oldsmobile that was once owned by Mr. and Mrs. George Green. This car successfully traveled cross country twice from their home in Lambertville, New Jersey to California, touching Canada and Mexico, in 1938 and then again in 1947. There is a map on display illustrating the journeys. Mr. Green purchased this car in 1907. It is on loan courtesy of Herb Singe, Jr. and Herb Singe, Sr. from Hillside, NJ. The Singes also have graciously shared many of their interesting artifacts and signs that illustrate the fascination people at the turn of the 20th century had with the “horseless carriage”.

There is also a 1908 two-cylinder REO on display which was restored and very actively driven on HCCA tours for many years by Art Wilkinson until 2015. It was then purchased and very often driven by the late Mike Romano who was a very active member of both HCCA and AACA until his untimely death. It is on loan from its current owner, namesake and Mike’s nephew, Mike Romano.

The third car is a spectacular 1911 Stevens-Duryea. This car was found in a tobacco barn in North Carolina in 1954. Morris Kunkle and his wife Ruth, who owned the car for 50 years, restored it in 1955. The car has participated in numerous tours, including 36 Glidden Tours, 7 Red Rock Tours and many Reliability Tours , as well as many HCCA tours. In the summer of 2004, the vehicle was driven over 20,000 miles and performed flawlessly. It is currently owned by the AACA Museum.

This display was made possible by the efforts of Bob Ladd who chaired the committee and a group of other dedicated volunteers. Most notably we had the assistance of Peter Jakab, curator of Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian, who did the design of the display and is responsible for its title “YES, WE DRIVE THESE CARS!” Pat Gamble, Doug Walters and Brad Kline all took an active part as well. Other HCCA members donated artifacts for display including Jeff Lesher and current HCCA President Don Plumb.